Buildings & Grounds Representative I
Part-Time, Year-round: 28 hours per week; typical schedule 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., Monday-Thursday and Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., year-round; occasional nights and weekends as programming requires. Subject to change based on institutional needs.
Hourly Wage: Non-exempt, $14.00 per hour.
Reports: Reports to Manager of Buildings and Grounds with input from Executive Director
Renfrew Museum and Park, a historic Pennsylvania German farmstead located in Waynesboro, Pennsylvania is approaching its 49th year of operation in 2024. This established and rapidly growing institution, sited on 107 acres of scenic land nestled along the east branch of Antietam Creek, is deeply committed to creating lasting connections to Renfrew’s distinctive character and dynamic heritage through unique experiences. Renfrew is currently seeking a dynamic individual with a diverse skillset for an exciting position on its staff. The Buildings and Grounds Representative I (BGR-1) reports to the Manager of Buildings and Grounds. The BGR-1 ensures a positive and welcoming Museum experience and environment for guests, and is responsible for helping make the most of their visit when experiencing our historic buildings, grounds and gardens, authentic collections, exhibits, programs, and events. This role will primarily be responsible for assuring the overall pristine appearance of the museum and park by applying sound ground maintenance and proper care of turf, historic and non-historic landscapes, trees, roads, fences, walks, forest paths, waterways, and property lines. Also assists with the maintenance and preservation of historic and non-historic structures throughout the park.
POSITIONS DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for assuring the overall pristine appearance of the museum and park by applying sound grounds maintenance and proper care of turf, historic and non-historic landscapes, trees, roads, fences, walks, forest paths, waterways, and property lines.
- Responsible for the maintenance and preservation of historic and non-historic structures throughout the park under guidance of Renfrew management team.
- Keep the landscaped areas groomed by raking, edging, mulching, applying weed control and pruning, along with Fall leaf removal by using a variety of hand tools, tarps, blowers, and vacuums.
- Perform removal of dead, hazardous, and fallen trees and limbs from roadways, trails and park grounds. As well as, maintain roads and fire lanes that are clean, clear of debris and free of potholes and ruts; accomplished by hand tools and power equipment.
- Perform trash and recycling collection throughout the grounds.
- Water trees, shrubs and turf during establishment periods or during droughts.
- Assist in performing overall maintenance and cleanliness of the museum grounds and buildings, including the operation of all mechanical systems and equipment as well as routine exhibit maintenance.
- Assists in maintaining and making minor repairs on machines, equipment, and tools.
- Assist in completing a variety of maintenance work orders including installation and repair to fixtures by replacing window/light fixtures, A/C filters, HVAC systems, carpentry, repair woodwork, painting, replacing floor tiles and replacing washers in faucets and equipment as well as troubleshoot minor plumbing and electrical problems when not covered by warranty.
- In coordination with Manager of Buildings and Grounds, this position requires skills applied to the maintenance, stabilization, restoration, repair and/or reconstruction of various historic and non-historic structures that range widely in historic period, architectural style, construction materials and existing condition.
- Helps maintain inventory of supplies needed for museum and grounds maintenance.
- Helps ensure that any safety violations or hazardous conditions are rectified immediately or reported to the Manager of Buildings and Grounds and / or Executive Director.
- Helps ensure that all mechanical systems are operating properly and maintain equipment and work areas in a safe, clean, and orderly manner.
- Performs preventative maintenance work in accordance with established schedules and procedures.
- Work may be performed outside under adverse weather conditions. Other environmental factors such as stinging and biting insects, snakes, and poisonous plants can be encountered. Work may involve working with hazardous materials, such as rodent nests, asbestos, and lead-based products, etc. To reduce the dangers, the incumbent is required to follow prescribed safety practices.
- Indoor work is often accomplished in office buildings and historic structures or in well-lighted, heated, and ventilated areas such as warehouses or trade shops.
- Frequently exposed to weather and temperature extremes, drafts, noise, dust, and dirt and the possibility of bruises, muscle strains, cuts and scrapes. Work requires the employee to follow proper safety procedures and use standard safety equipment such as gloves, ear protectors, safety glasses, and steel-toe shoes to avoid possible hazards in the work area.
- Position requires bending, lifting, squatting, pulling and pushing, and the ability to regularly walk up and down hills and across pasture-like terrain in all forms of weather.
- Will collaborate with other Renfrew Museum and Park staff on set up and take down of furniture and equipment during Museum programs and events.
- Attends staff meetings, training, and workshops.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Performs custodial responsibilities to ensure all facilities are clean, presentable, and passable for staff and guests.
- Assists with cleaning and keeping orderly non-collection/curatorial interiors and exterior of the buildings.
- Polishes, dusts, vacuums, shampoos, spot cleans carpets and non-collection/curatorial furniture as needed; washes windows and gallery display case exteriors.
- Works with hazardous materials, such as cleaning agents and chemicals. To reduce the dangers, the incumbent is required to follow prescribed safety practices.
- Perform trash and recycling collection throughout the grounds and removes trash in accordance with established procedures.
- Cleans and disinfects restrooms and other facilities as specified; stocks facilities with paper and supplies.
- Identifies stains and uses proper chemicals for removal.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent (GED). Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 1 – 2 years of relevant experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience, to include Horticulture, Groundskeeping, Landscape Design and Construction, Historic Site Management, or experience working within a public institutional setting such as a museum, park, golf course, botanical garden, educational/university/corporate/municipal campus, library, historic site or similar institution.
- Successful candidate must be friendly, willing to accurately share information and educational content with visitors about Renfrew’s unique history and natural features.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Must be knowledgeable of all basic aspects of general landscaping, including planting, pruning, shearing, mulching, mowing, trimming, blowing, leaf removal, snow removal, watering, policing grounds, trash removal, paver or wall installations, grading and turf renovation, sod installation, fertilizer and pesticide application, weeding, tree removal, etc.
- Basic carpentry and woodworking; experience with historic restoration and conservation a plus.
- Experience in operating a variety of farm and turf equipment including, tractors, trimmers, mowers, and blowers, including but not limited to self-propelled riding type mowers and smaller gasoline (2 & 4 cycle) powered equipment, floor polishers, power tools, and hand tools.
- Basic computer skills/record keeping. May perform regular office duties including communication via phone and email correspondence, creation of files using Microsoft Office software including Outlook, Word, Publisher, and Excel.
- Ability to work independently and with a minimum of supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, walk long distances over uneven surfaces, such as mulch and gravel, climb up/down stairs, and ability to climb ladders.
- Moderate to heavy physical effort may be required in operating equipment, in lifting 50-100 pounds, for example lifting trash containers, moving tables and benches, loading and unloading cargo, in repairing/constructing roads, trails and fences, and in the use of hand tools, etc.
- Must be able to lift and carry heavy loads up and down stairs.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable means of transportation required.