Renfrew became a public museum and park in 1975 through the generosity of its last
private owner, Emma Geiser Nicodemus, and her sister, Hazel Geiser. In her will
Emma Nicodemus specified that her house and the surrounding 107-
Mrs. Nicodemus wanted the facility to be called Renfrew in remembrance of two young sisters by that name. According to local legend, the girls met their demise in 1764 on what is now Park property.
More than a quarter of a century after its creation, Renfrew has grown by leaps and bounds. Research and restoration have expanded the scope of the site to include a Visitors Center in the Victorian period barn, several restored outbuildings which include the smokehouse, milkhouse, and the Fahnestock farmstead with its barn and house.
We have designated all the important Royer farmstead sites with bronze markers set in field stone. More information on all the buildings and interpreted areas is available with a free brochure during regular operational hours in our Visitor Center. Not to be missed is a display of farming and tannery tools, and the John Bell pottery permanent exhibit also in the Visitor Center.
Renfrew Mission Statement
The mission of Renfrew Museum and Park is to serve the community of Waynesboro and the surrounding region as a cultural and natural resource.
1. Display Emma Geiser Nicodemus' collection of decorative arts within a pre-
2. Develop and interpret the Royer Pennsylvania German Farmstead-